There is two main ways that Satan gains entrance into believers’ lives.
A. Illegal intrusion
B. Legal intrusion
– UNFORGIVENESS is one of the typical ways that someone opens doors to the enemy. Refusal to forgive imprisons us. We are the ones who ultimately suffer for our decision to withhold forgiveness. We put ourselves behind spiritual “prison bars” that hold us just as securely as physical bars contain prisoners in jail (Matthew 18:34).
– JUDGMENTS is another way we may sin. “Do not judge, or you too will be judged” (Matthew 7:1-5). Leave all judgment in the hands of God, lest you bring judgment upon yourself.
– Willfully disobeying the written and prophetic Word of God produces spiritual death (separation from God) and cuts us off from the blessing of God.
– Some people invite demons into their lives when deliberately walk in the flesh. They know the Word of God and disobey to it.
– Other people do covenants with the devil or with demons when the walk in the occult. We will talk about this later on.
– Multiplied instances have been found where evil spirits were able to indwell persons through the ruse of inheritance. Evil spirits never hesitate to take full advantage of times of weakness in a person’s life.
– The weakest time in most lives is childhood. A child is completely dependent upon others for protection. Christian parents need to understand their responsibility to protect their children as well as how to deliver their children from demon oppression.
– If a child is told that he is like his parents and can expect to inherit their weaknesses he becomes vulnerable. This is what we call Spiritual and emotional trauma – “He has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted” (Isaiah 61:1).
We can divide these traumas in three categories:
– Wounds–emotional, spiritual, or physical–can be sources of infection and demonic influence.
– Harsh words, broken promises, rejection, abuse, etc., produce pain, anger, bitterness, and hate.
– Pain in our memories and emotions is evidence that trauma has occurred.
Emotional hurts need cleansing, closure, and healing through the blood of Jesus.
– Transference of spirits can happen not only by inheritance but also when we expose ourselves to people that act as channels to the devil or also by circumstances or places where the devil acquires a legal right.
– According to Webster’s dictionary, one of the definitions of the word spirit is “the prevailing attitude or characteristics of something or someone.”
– Every mother instinctively knows about the transference of spirits. She knows that when little Johnny plays with the rebellious, disobedient little boy next door, Johnny may come home with a rebellious, disobedient attitude or spirit that she has to discipline out of him.
Paul warns in 1 Corinthians15:33 (AMP), Do not be so deceived and misled! Evil companionships, (communion, associations) corrupt and deprave good manners and morals and character.
The Bible specifically mentions fourteen “spirits of.” These are root spirits that gain entrance through generational curses or traumatic experiences.
Spirit of infirmity (Luke 13:11,16)
Spirit of fear (I1 Timothy 1:7)
Spirit of whoredom/idolatry (Hosea 4:12)
Spirit of perverseness (Isaiah 19:14)
Deaf/dumb spirit (Mark 9:25-27)
Lying spirit (II Chronicles 18:22)
Spirit of error (I John 4:6)
Spirit of divination (Acts 16:16-18)
Spirit of bondage (Romans 8:15)
Spirit of Antichrist (I John 4:3)
Spirit of haughtiness (Proverbs 16:18-19)
Spirit of heaviness (Isaiah 61:3)
Spirit of jealousy (Numbers 5:14)
Spirit of sleep/slumber (Romans 11:8)
The only thing that has the power to cancel all the arguments of the enemy against us is the redemptive work accomplished by Jesus on the cross.
Lord Jesus Christ, I believe that You are the Son of God and that You are the only way to God. I believe that You died on the cross for my sins and rose again from the dead. I give up all my rebellion and independence, my pride and self-centeredness, my harboring of rejection and inferiority, and my bitterness and unforgiveness. I give up all my sin and submit myself to You. I confess all my sins before You and ask for Your forgiveness. Release me now from the power of the enemy of my soul. By a decision of my will, I forgive all who have harmed me or wronged me, just as I want You to forgive me. In particular, I forgive…(names of persons) Lord Jesus, I believe that on the cross You paid the price for me to have a life of victory and freedom. I receive Your gift of deliverance now.
Through Christ Jesus, I now pull down every stronghold built up in my life by the devil. In particular, I pull down the strongholds of: (name the strongholds)
IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST, I pull these strongholds down and renounce the power of Satan in my life. By faith I now receive my release, and I thank You, God, for it.