Can a Christian have demons?
“Can a Christian have demons within their body and soul or influencing them?” The answer is absolutely YES, but most Christians cannot comprehend that and think this is heresy. At the Bible School we learn that a Christian cannot have demons, but as I started to serve the Lord in a local Church I realized that this theology ignores the reality and it is inaccurate. I saw many people influenced by demons in local churches. (Note: Influence is different from demon possession. We are talking about the first one)
A. Symptoms of Demonic Activity IN CHRISTIANS
- There is a good test a born again Christian can use to determine if there is a possibility demons are within or attached.
- If you have done all of that and have tried to crucify the flesh daily, the root may be demonic and I would go to someone who can deal with this activity to determine if it is demonic including generation spirits and curses. You have very little to lose if it is not demonic
- Just simply say to yourself that you don’t know if there are demon spirits within you or influencing you, but if there are, you want them out. No one can deliver you if you do not believe they can be there.
The following is a list of 20 possible manifestations of such demonic activity:
Unnatural fear such as fear of being alone, dark, water, drowning, failure, being rejected, or people/places.
Migraine headaches, recurring headaches, heart palpitations or other pain that comes and goes with no physical problem diagnosed.
Deep depression that cannot be shaken.
Confusion or inability to think straight..
Restlessness, sleeplessness, or cannot relax.
Unusual tiredness, sleepiness or weakness.
Unexpected thoughts of lust/profanity
Out of control rage, and anger and temper tantrums.
Cannot stop talking and rambling around.
Sudden urges to commit suicide or kill someone or something.
Schizophrenia or split personality.
Unexplained or unreasonable rebellion against authority.
Urging to read or see pornography, smoke, take drugs or drink or look at violence and bloodshed.
Ability to see future events or discern personal things about other people. Depression may follow afterward.
Urge toward sexual perversion and unnatural sexual acts if married.
Any other strong urge to do things that you cannot control and is unnatural.
Physical problems like cancer, diabetes, tumors or high blood pressure just like experienced by a direct ancestor.
Cannot stop crying or inability to quit grieving over someone or something.
Cannot stop lying.
Cannot forgive other people.
B. Generational Problems
- One way to examine yourself for demonic oppression is to compare your problems with the areas in your parents, uncles, aunts, and grandparents (Galatians 3:13) The Curse of the Law did not go away after Jesus came. We have to deal with this God’s way by repenting of the sins and iniquities of our fathers. Just breaking the curses does not get any demons out that are involved. You just destroyed the right of the demons to be there but they are still there. He will not deliver you simply because you pray.
- In Mark 16:15 Jesus said that signs and wonders would follow those that believe. I am a believer. He said, IN MY NAME you will take authority over demons and cast them out. In other words, He said you are not to ask Him to cast demons out of you.
C. HOW can you RESIST THE DEVIL?
James 4:7-8 (AMP)So be subject to God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you. Come close to God and He will come close to you. [Recognize that you are] sinners, get your soiled hands clean; [realize that you have been disloyal] wavering individuals with divided interests, and purify your hearts [of your spiritual adultery].
Satan and his demons will not flee from us unless we do all this scripture tells us to do.
1. We must first submit ourselves to God
2. Then repent and cleanse our hands and purify our hearts
3. Then bind the strongman and use the authority Jesus gave us.
Most Christians are still waiting on God to make the devil and his demons flee from us. Jesus said, In my Name, YOU will take authority over demons and drive them out.
D. The greatest lie of the enemy to Christians
- Some people want to say that because they are a Christian that demons cannot attack them. The apostle Paul knew about this war with Satan and his demons and he challenged us in 2 Timothy 2:4 to fight a good fight (Ephesians 6:11-13)
- We must learn to recognize our adversary AND know the strategies and methods of the enemy. Then we must know how to use our weapons provided by God and how to fight. Jesus Christ defeated the enemy and his demons but they have not yet been chained.
- 1 Peter 5:8 says our enemy is the devil who is our adversary. The Bible calls Satan our adversary, destroyer, deceiver, tempter, dragon, serpent, and slanderer. Satan is not just an influence against us but he is like a person with a specific identity and purpose.
E. Be aware of the fight
1 Peter 5:8,9 – This is a strong warning that our enemy is very powerful and we must be on guard to protect ourselves from this enemy. This verse tells us to take some action, because if we ignore Satan and his demons, they will not go away all by themselves. Ephesians 4:27 “Leave no [such] room or foothold for the devil [give no opportunity to him].”
F. Not every problem is demonic
This is not to say that every problem on that list is demonic activity, but if the person has tried to crucify the flesh daily and done all they can to get victory, but keeps failing, then it is time to look for roots of demonic activity. We cannot blame the lusts of the flesh on the works of the devil.
G. defeat those demons in jesus name!
- Mark 16:15-17
- Luke 10:19
- Acts 16:18
Even though Satan and his kingdom has been defeated by Jesus, Satan is not dead. He is allowed to roam this earth and attempt to attack people. It is our responsibility to take back what Satan has stolen. He does not give up easily but Jesus has given us the tools to get the victory. We are to use the name of Jesus as our authority and then we have to command the demons to come out and leave. We are God’s instruments and God will not do it for us. God only works through us as we do what He has instructed, then the Holy Spirit and God’s angels will work in the person to bring about the deliverance sought after